Intro, part 1

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intro, part 1
From: tip@ai.chem.ohiou.edu (Tom Perigrin)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 10:20:57 -0400
Well, having tried to post my intro to the newsgroup THREE times, I have
become convinced there is an error somewhere in the process....    perhaps
the server doesn't like long messages.  So, I'll try putting my intro as
several shorter messages.

----

Hi, me again, owner of Emma...  72 MGB   I said I'd introduce myself later.
It's later.  For those of you who don't like reading LONG messages, I
apoligize for the LENGTH of the following message.  I won't do it often,
but I thought I'd introduce myself.

First, Emma's particulars

Body  GHN5 UC 262_ _ _ G
Eng    18V584Z L03_ _x
Com   G23N040 _ _ _ Z
Built 9/71

(the underscores  _  indicates numbers, I don't know if it is a bad idea to
give out entire VIN numbers on the internet, so I am being cautious).

I first bought Emma in 1978.   I was the third owner, the first being a
little old lady in Atherton (the San Fran bay area's equivalent of
Pasadena), and the second being a young male with more testosterone than
ability.     I bought her from him because she wasn't running well, and he
didn't have the time and ability to fix her up.   It turned out to be
nothing worse than a slipped timing belt and the typical maintainence
demanded by LBC's.

Over the next  few years Emma and I had a LOT of fun...  and a few
problems.   I fondly remember replacing the water pump standing by the side
of Highway 17, a twisty twindy road once called "death alley".   But for
problems,  here's a "beaut".   I could get her all tuned up perfectly in
the drive way...  idle, revving, etc.  But when  I'd take her out on the
road she'd get HOT.   So hot that the exhaust pipes would be glowing red.
I ended up installing a thermocouple on the exhaust manifold and putting
the meter under the dash so I could tell when she started running hot.
The problem was hard to diagnose because it was intermittant - she didn't
always do this...  only when I went on back roads (farther from help, mind
you!).  I finally figured it out with the help of an old mechanic...
Anybody got a guess?  A virtual cookie and milk to the first right guess.

After that debacle, Emma had lost power...  guess why ???  Yup, valves were
_toast_.  So I jacked the engine up far enough to do a rebuild,  tore her
apart and put in all new top and bottom end bearings, new rings, diamond
lapped new valves, new guides, etc...  Too bad I didn't know then that
leaded gas was going to be impossible to get.   While I had her apart I
also dissembled the HIF carbs, and put in new needles, etc.   Before
assembling her, I had fun  -  I color coded the engine parts!    The air
cleaners and all air parts were painted sky blue.  The water pump,
thermostat and other water parts were painted frog green...   Etc...   When
you open up Em's hood she looks just like a kid's illustration book!
After reassembly she was a CHAMP!  As one of the "sweet young things" who I
used to escort around in my lil' B said - "you are the only guy I know who
gets into 3'rd getting out of the Safeway parking lot".

She was a great "daily driver", and very dependable.  I could depend on
having to get out and fiddle with the timing or change the carbs with
almost every new tank of gas.  *grin*   However, she got me there, with
style!

---

I used to say the only constants in my life were stress, my loving wife,
and the weekly hairball the cat leaves on the carpet.  After some medical
problems I am trying to reduce the stress... Other than that little has
changed - my wife still loves me, and the cat still vomits up an offering
every week.   A man needs some tradition in his life!