'67 BGT - no reverse gear

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '67 BGT - no reverse gear
From: Dion Fluttert <dion@dfluttert.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 20:41:57 +0100
Hi all,

As you are all experts on the matter, and I'm fairly new to MGs (own the
GT since june), maybe someone can help me with 2 problems/questions.

1. My MGBGT (overdrive, non synchro first) decided that it didn't want
go backwards anymore.
The gearlever has the feeling that there is nothing attached to it, left
of the 1-to-2 plane, the place where one expects to select reverse gear.
Strange thing is that none of the other gears give any problems.
Is it possible to check the lever/selection mechanism while it is still
on the car?
Or is it always a gearbox-out job? If so, can the gearbox alone be
withdrawn from the car, instead of having to take engine plus gearbox
out of the car as the Haynes manual suggests? Can the gearbox be lifted
out from inside the car (removing the gearbox tunnel cover)?
I have got access to a car lift, but naturally I prefer to make repairs
while everything stays on the car.

2. My overdrive sometimes disengages. It mostly happens when I
accelerate while in overdrive. E.g. when driving at 60, overdrive
switched on, trying to (gently) increase the speed to 70 mph. When doing
things very gentle, it will stay in OD. A little more harsh, it
'automatically' disengages to direct 4, and after easing the accelerator
when at a constant speed again, it will 'automatically' switch on into
OD again.
It seems as the overdrive automatically switch back into direct speed
when pushing the accelerator too fast, and switch into OD again when the
pedal is at a constant angle again (thus acting as a kickdown, like an
auto gearbox).
Is this action normal, is it as designed?
My Austin Westminster, with Austin overdrive, indeed has such action
designed (description in the handbook, electric kick down switch under
the accelerator pedal). Same for the MG?

Thanks for any help.

Dion.