Re: MGB Timing question

To: "G. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB Timing question
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:49:31 +0000
G. Graham wrote:

> I finally bought a timing light & checked the '74 B engine. The mark was
> appearing about 2 inches below the teeth-- nowhere even close!
>
> My question:     I assume the timing mark on the pulley should appear
> opposite of one of the 4 teeth on the cover. Which one? The manual shows
> one of them longer than the others, my engine, however, does not.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gary
> 74B (repainted & interior refinished)

The last mark the notch passes during normal rotation should equate to
TDC, confirm it on your engine by looking down the plug hole of No. 1.
The other marks usually indicate 5 degree intervals BTDC.  A typical
dynamic timing is 10 degrees BTDC at 600rpm, but could be 15 degrees at
1000 rpm.  All depends on engine and distributor spec.

PaulH.