Re: True or False (and Barney's web site)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: True or False (and Barney's web site)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 18:01:52 -0400 (EDT)
> Some people have been implying that one would be better off to buy some
> other "more reliable" or "cheaper" model of car if you are budget
> conscious.  I really hate to see someone getting put off with statements
> like that.  If one must buy a used car for budget reasons, a well
> maintained LBC can be a sound economical investment, simply as
>transportation.

And even I agree with that one...I bought my first Japanese car about 2
years ago, thinking it would be worth paying a bit more for it as "reliable
transportation." After a new starter and alternator (under extended
warranty, thank heavens), and then a new power steering pump (searched
everywhere for one, the cheapest I could find was a rebuilt one, and at
$160, had to reuse the reservoir and pulley from the old one), and then
having to remove the gas tank because a line had sprung a leak right on top
of the tank...I won't mention the make but let's just say I haven't exactly
loved what this everyday people's car has done for me. I asked for it, I
got it (...do you remember that jingle?) This is a car that just passed 85k
miles, and I've only owned it for 20k of them! True, other cars might eat a
few more parts, but when you consider the price of parts for newer Japanese
and German cars, it probably all balances out. Honestly, I had a '75 Olds
Cutlass Supreme, almost twenty years old at the time,that was more reliable
over four years than my present, newer car has been. Add in that I only
paid $400 for the Olds, and that's pretty economical.  My advice to those
seeking truly long-term absolutely economical transportation is to take the
bus. If it's not a little fun, it's not worth paying for anyway.
Regards...Nevin