Re: MGA body panels and oil filter problems

To: REasterby@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA body panels and oil filter problems
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 07:46:03 -0400
At 04:41 PM 10/10/98 EDT, you wrote:
>That lower cannister piece should just come off. The upper section with the
>pipe will stay on the block. Try spraying some WD-40,Kroil or other type
lube.
>Then tap it with a mallet. I have never had one frozen on as you said, but
>once that bolt is released, the only thing holding it is possibly the rubber
>seal. Good luck and watch out for the oil drops. God how I enjoy my BGT with
>its spin on filter.

Totally agree. Imagine having to lubricate an oil housing to remove it!  It
sounds so funny! 'course, on the other hand, you know that little puppy
ain't leakin'...
It also says something about being careful not to over-tighten.  Over
tightening can crush the rubber seal and actually cause leaks as well. In
the past, when using cannister filters, I learned to use the trusty torque
wrench. For MGA, the correct torque is 15 ft/lbs for the center bolt.  The
same idea applies for spin-on filters... hand tight is the limit.
Dave Iwansky
'62 MGA 1600 MkII