Control Box? (was: RED light)

To: RobMGB@aol.com
Subject: Control Box? (was: RED light)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:23:14 -0700
Word on the street is that RobMGB@aol.com said:
> Was walking past the B just now and noticed the alternator light was on. Keys
> weren't in it. I went and got keys and cranked it up. Started fine and light
> went off. ?Will check it later to see if it comes back on. What caused it to
> come on? It is my daily drive and had parked it in garage last night after
> work. Alternator rebuilt about 3 years ago. Has allison electronic ignition
> with 40kv coil.

Well wouldn't you know it, mine just started doing the same thing now and then.
A few weeks back I was driving pretty hard and when I got home, the engine
was quite hot.  I turned off the car and the ignition light stayed on for
a few seconds, until I heard a PING sound from under the hood and it went
off.  Gave it no more thought.  Until yesterday.  Drove into my parking
space and it would not go off.  Didn't want to drain the battery and didn't
feel like troubleshooting it right then, so I disconnected the battery.
Same thing, as soon as I pulled off the connector I heard a PING under the
hood so I hooked the battery back up and the problem was gone.

(aside: does it matter which you disconnect first? pos or neg?  I have a
positive ground car. I can never remember.)

Anyway, I looked through the MGs list archive on my site and lo someone
had the same problem and it was the "control box" - sounded like a likely
candidate so I opened it up (after disconnecting the battery) and there
were three coils which seem to control contact of three circuits and some
sort of adjustable thing with teeth at the top which I assume is some
sort of tuning device for the contact distance.  Everything was a bit
corroded so I got out the trusty 600 grit and cleaned everything off.
Hopefully the problem is gone.

Question for you gurus... someone want to write a quick lesson on what the
heck that box is doing?  I haven't had time to sit down with the schematic
and see if I can figure it out myself so if nobody replies I'll just have
to follow up on my own post ;)

Thanks
Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)