Re: Caliper Rebuild Frustration *#@$*

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Caliper Rebuild Frustration *#@$*
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:04:06 -0700
Skye Poier wrote:

> Background: I'm rebuilding the calipers because the front pads are binding.
> There is some corrosion, gunk, etc visible on the pistons so I'm pulling
> them apart, I'll also be replacing the hoses. Safety Fast and all that.
>
> Tonight I took apart the first caliper.  Went fairly well.  The piston is
> in good shape once I cleaned it and will not need to be replaced.  I got
> caliper rebuild kits from Octagon Motors which include a new oil seal, dust
> seal, and metal dust seal retaining ring plus new brake pads.
>
> The dust seal retaining ring is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ARSE.  I cannot get the
> damn thing on.  I start in one side then try and tap around very gently
> all around but one side will stick up and start to bend, and trying to force
> it wouldn't help, it would just destroy the ring.  Its very soft metal.
>
> Can someone please please give me some tips on how to do this?  I just
> spent two hours hunched over the wheel well trying to get it in - and I
> have three more to do!! augh!  Car's not going anywhere until this is done
> either. Soooooo frustrating.
>
> I think I forgot to say the magic words or something.  Fell behind in my
> offerings to the great MOWOG.
>
> Thanks.
> Skye
>
> --
> 1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__
> The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)
When I did my Calipers for the Sprite, I just laid a piece of steel bar(
the lock strap for my tool chest) across the dust ring that i had placed
in position. With one sound tap of a hammer to the center of the bore,
it seated the ring perfectly. nothing fancy, but it works.

Mark Snowdon
69 Sprite(Austin),73 & 79 Midget(Midge and as of yet unnamed)

PS: any suggestions for naming a 79 1500 Midget in BRG with biscuit
interior?