Caliper Rebuild Frustration *#@$*

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Caliper Rebuild Frustration *#@$*
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:43:10 -0700
Background: I'm rebuilding the calipers because the front pads are binding.
There is some corrosion, gunk, etc visible on the pistons so I'm pulling
them apart, I'll also be replacing the hoses. Safety Fast and all that.

Tonight I took apart the first caliper.  Went fairly well.  The piston is
in good shape once I cleaned it and will not need to be replaced.  I got
caliper rebuild kits from Octagon Motors which include a new oil seal, dust
seal, and metal dust seal retaining ring plus new brake pads.

The dust seal retaining ring is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ARSE.  I cannot get the
damn thing on.  I start in one side then try and tap around very gently
all around but one side will stick up and start to bend, and trying to force
it wouldn't help, it would just destroy the ring.  Its very soft metal.

Can someone please please give me some tips on how to do this?  I just
spent two hours hunched over the wheel well trying to get it in - and I
have three more to do!! augh!  Car's not going anywhere until this is done
either. Soooooo frustrating.

I think I forgot to say the magic words or something.  Fell behind in my
offerings to the great MOWOG.

Thanks.
Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)