Starting help

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starting help
From: Rob Bergstrom <robbob@wam.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 15:47:33 -0400
Howdy!
    Anyone have an SU HIF carb-equipped 'B running w/out emission
control and w/out the vapor recapture system?  Apparently the 'B I am
working on was running as such many years ago when it was hit by a drunk
driver while it sat in our driveway.  Now, as the repair and partial
restoration nears completion, the car just won't start.  It's sparking,
the fuel pump works, and the carbs have been cleaned.  The thing runs
for all of five seconds before invariably stalling.  My brother suggests
static timing it but the thing seems to want to run fine (not to mention
I wouldn't know how to go about doing that, so any comments there
couldn't hurt either.)  My guess is air induction problems, as it should
be and seems to be getting plenty of fuel.  I'm a mechanical idiot so
any responses should be termed in as layman a fashion as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Bergstrom