Re: lubricating speedo cable

To: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: lubricating speedo cable
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:26:52 +0000
Joseph Cianciotti wrote:

> I've heard that the cure for the bouncing speedometer is to lubricate the
> cable or fittings. What exactly do I lubricate? How do I get to it? And
> what do I lubricate it with? Thanks in advance.
>
> Joseph
> 67 Roadster

There are typically two types of bounce - a couple of times a second at
touring speeds, and one every two or three seconds occuring in time with
the trip odometer movement.  The former is usually the cable, I have
pulled this out, cleaned it, lubruicated with light oil and
re-inserted.  Won't help if strands are broken.  The latter was a dry
input shaft on the speedo on my car.  Removed the mechanism from the
case and put a drop of light oil on each end of the shaft after checking
all the odometer wheels were free.  The needle came off the shaft so I
jacked up the rear of the car and calibrated the speedo against the tach
with the transmission running in O/D top - 22mph per 1000rpm on my car.

Cheers,
PaulH.