Heater valve questions

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Heater valve questions
From: "Jeff Zuckerman" <JeffZuckerman@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:23:15 -0700
Hello all,
    The restoration of my '67 BGT proceeds apace.  I will be returning
engine (rebuilt) and transmission to it shortly.
    Question:  How can I tell if the heater valve is faulty?  The lever
which opens it seems quite stiff and does not travel the full length of the
slot.  When I blow in one end, I can feel air coming out the other with the
valve supposedly "closed".  Is it time for a new one?
    Also, what type of gasket sealant is recommended for fitting the valve?

Thanks,
Jeff Zuckerman
'67 BGT
'71 B