Re: Caliper Rebuild Frustration (summary)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Caliper Rebuild Frustration (summary)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:02:07 -0700
Word on the street is that Mark Snowdon said:
> The real story on that is that when you separate the two halves, you
> must replace the o-ring between the halves. This is not difficult, but
> making sure everything is very clean is. Can't imagine installing
> pistons without taking apart, must be hellish.

Hellish, yeah thats one adjective ;)

Anyway, I solved the problem of installing new dust rings x 4 - I took the
calipers to Octagon Motors and had THEM install them.  It was worth the $40
to have someone else do it - with my limited work space (my kitchen table
in the apartment, and the underground parking garage as long as I don't
make too much noise) some jobs are just so much easier to farm out.  Last
night I wire brushed the calipers, removed the bleed screws and put all the
screws and bolts in a Coke bath to remove all traces of rust, and took out
the pistons.

I figured out a neat trick for getting the pistons out without compressed
air or clamping the opposite piston and pumping the brake - get a radiator
clamp and put it around the bit of piston sticking out REALLY tight.  Put
a bit of wadded paper towel under the worm drive on the rad clamp to prevent
it from marring the surface of the piston.  Then with a BFS, pry each side
of the piston up a fraction of an inch at a time, alternating, using the
edge of the rad clamp for gaining purchase.  Doesn't take too long and
works quite well.

Now that I have new seals installed, tonight I will mask and spray paint
the calipers, install the cleaned pistons + new brake hoses + cleaned
bleed screws, put them back on the car with the new tab washers, install
my shiny new lockheed brake pads and new clips and pins, bleed the system
and I'm all set. Just like new (tm).  Cost just over $100 total.

Then its on to the REAR brakes.  Oh I'm looking forward to the circlips ;)

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)