Re: TR6 Value

To: mgrazian@ltcm.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Value
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:06:30 EDT
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:19:24 -0400 Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
writes:
>I just came back from tooling around town (Greenwich CT) in my 300zx.
>WHile out,  I spotted a '70
>TR6 (bright red) in nice shape for sale at an english car dealership
>(rolls, bentleys jags).  On
>impulse I stopped to look at the car.  The color of the definitely new
>paint was real nice,  but the
>quality was OK at best. One seat was cracked, and the wood dash had
>multiple cracks (almost like
>bumps) going across the glove box and the top of the dash Rusty lugs,
>waves in the driver's door and
>rear driver's quarterpanel.
>
>A snooty saleswoman comes out and does the obligatory "Can I help
>you?"
>"Sure", I say, "What are you asking for the TR6?"
>
>"Oh that.  We just _received_ that car last week.  We are asking 12.5K
>for it."
>
>Me:    Gee, that seems like an awful lot for a TR6.
>
>Snooty:        Yes, well you obviously don't know much about English
>cars then.  This car is a classic and
>a steal at that price.
>
>Me:    Oh Yes.  You're right.  I obviously don't know ANYTHING
>about English cars.  Thank you for your
>time.
>
>Somebody email bomb me the next time I casually stroll into a rolls
>dealership.  Boy do I wish I had
>pulled up in my Midget rather than the Z.
>
>Mike
>
>'78 RB Midget
>'87 PB 300zx
>
>PS:  What's a '70 TR6 worth anyway?  Dear me I hope it's not worth
>12.5K.

Thanks for the chuckle Mike - as i read the first line i thought  - "oh
good - i have a friend who's looking for one..." then it dawned on me - -
- -
I have worked in and around Greenwich for most of the past 15 years and
there is no snottier, more pretentious, overpriced place on the face of
the globe!!( with the possible exception of New Canaan CT which is not as
expensive as Greenwich but definitely snottier!) Figure about usd7.50 for
a ham sandwich at a deli and you'll see what i mean.
The sad thing is that in Greenwich they will likely get close to that
figure for an average TR6 and the buyer, who will buy it on impulse, will
hardly even dent his days beer money!
A 71 BGT sold in Greenwich last year for 10000 - i heard that from the
guy that bought it, and it was barely the right side of tatty - probably
worth 3500-4000 in places where peoples' farts actually stink! (which, of
course, they don't in Greenwich!)
My guess is that the TR is more like a 5-6000 car in that sort of shape-

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]