RE: "Shell Ensis 260 Fluid"?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: "Shell Ensis 260 Fluid"?
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:36:49 -0400
Interesting you should come up with this topic.  I have a friend who works
in a truck spring shop.  Just a few days ago we were talking about
lubricating springs.

He taught me that leaf springs don't just work on the elasticity of the
spring, but also on the friction between the leaves.  For instance, he said,
Model T springs were enclosed in a jacket which you were supposed to fill
with grease.  If you didn't, you had a rock hard ride.

When I was a grease monkey, I used to have the job of de-squeaking the rear
leaf springs of our Ford customers - by dropping motor oil into a jet of
compressed air pointed at the springs.  My friend allowed that that probably
didn't change the ride much as it was a thin coating of thin oil, but that
any decent lubrication of leaf springs is going to mush out the ride some.
(Whether this is a good or bad idea depends on the application.)

No great revelations, just food for thought.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - with dry, rusty springs.  But maybe not for long.