Re: My speedometer still bounces

To: "Joseph Cianciotti" <jmc987@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: My speedometer still bounces
From: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 07:46:16 -0700
The speedo bounce problem was explained to me by a guy at a speedometer shop
as this: If you pull the center cable out and hold it loosely in both hands,
and roll it slowly, you will probably notice that it prefers to flop over in
one direction.  This means that the cable has a slight bend in that
direction, possibly because it was coiled up too tightly in that direction
once during its life.  So as the cable turns in the car, while making the
bend around the firewall up to the speedo, it will hang and then pop loose
very slightly each turn, causing the speedo to bounce.  The suggested fix: a
new high quality cable.

Scott Pontius
'78 MGB with SD1 V8
Los Angeles