New owner and don't know where to start (running rough)

To: "'MGB'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New owner and don't know where to start (running rough)
From: Tom Emmons <tom@emmons.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:18:37 -0500
I haven't rebuilt a car since I was 18 but I finally convinced my better =
half to let me go at it.  I just purchased a 78 MGB.  Its in good =
condition.  Body straight no bondo, engine starts, all gauges work ( =
very well ).  One of the conditions is this be a fun car, meaning she =
wants to drive it so down time has to be minimal.  As I indicated it =
starts.  I have drove it only about 40 miles now but the mechanic I =
bought it from said it had some bad gas and after a tank or 2 it would =
run great.  I ran the tank almost dry and put in a new tank of Hi octane =
replaced plugs and fuel filter.  It still runs the same.  It has no =
power at all.  It takes about 60 seconds to get to 50 MPH and top speed =
is around 60 MPH.  I back fires from about 2K to 4K.   On the low end =
and High end no back fire but still no power.  Any suggestions on where =
to start.  I have plans of a rebuild later but I have to get this one =
going if I want to buy more later.  Thanks in advance.