Re: Stuck Clutch

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck Clutch
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 11:11:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, patti morris wrote:

> I'm looking for some ideas on how to free the clutch on a MG Midget
> I'm working on. The car was wrecked before I bought it and was being
> driven at the time of the accident so I ASSUME the clutch was working.
> I have nice travel at the slave cylinder so I'm thinking all the
> setting it's done allowed the clutch to freeze.
>
> So far, I've tried jacking the car up in the back. Putting the car in
> gear, starting it and with the clutch in, jamming on the brakes.
> Engine stalls but doesn't free the clutch.

The classic method is to put the gearbox in first gear, hold the clutch
pedal to the floor, start the engine, and alternately gun the engine and
back off until the clutch pops loose. You'll need to have a long driveway
or else be out on the street to do this safely.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net