Car mishaps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Car mishaps
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 11:19:59 EDT
<<I hit the lever, the thing filled with air,
and suddenly all hell broke loose.   The plug shot out of the device at
Mach-2, catching me in the lower lip and giving me a body piercing that a
trendy NYC teen would be envious of.  This was immediately followed by the
ejection of about a half-quart of 20W-50, which ended up drenching me from
crown to toes.   Fortunately, I was wearing sefety glasses and the car
fender was covered, so I didn't lose eyesight and the oil didn't cause
toooooo much of a mess.>>

You really had me laughing with that one! It reminds me of another time when
we had just installed a rebuilt Jag engine in a car and were trying to start
it. Unknown to us, the oil pressure relief valve had somehow welded itself
shut. We tried the usual cranking to get pressure before firing, and failed,
and then decided 'what the hell' let's start it. It started OK, and ran at a
fast idle for about 30 seconds with no oil pressure showing up, before the oil
pump built up enough pressure to actually force oil between the pump body and
the gasket (I think we are talking major pressure here), and a fine stream of
oil suddenly rose up from the car, that sprayed for literally 20 feet, right
onto the guy next door who had been looking over the fence at the poor fools
trying to get the car working.
Very hard to shut down an engine when you are laughing so much!

Bill S.