Re: Air conditioning for MGC

To: BONNILA@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Air conditioning for MGC
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 23:17:07 EDT
My suggestion would be to source a MGB air-con kit, and rebuild/modify that.
Check out you local MGB junkyards, you are more likely to find a kit down
there than anywhere else.  Once you've got all the bits, you might want to do
the installation yourself.  Freon is unavailible (except at great cost) so you
need to rebuild the system with new seals and put r134a in.  There are many
good books on the subject availible, and even lots of free info on www (no
specific site in mind, but check out the EPA site).  Despite prevailing
thought, air-conditioning is an old technology often mastered by high school
drop-outs (and some very intelligent people too ofcourse)  Main point is that
you can do this all yourself.
   Just some A/C theory folks...  If you compress some liquids, then squirt
them out, they let off a very cold discharge when they condense.  Alcohol does
this, Freon does this too.  So set up any system where you have a way to
compress the refrigerant (freon), spit it out somewhere it can condense and
you can capture it's cooling power, you've got A/C.
   There are many automotive A/C books out there, never read any (and that
might show!) but I've seen them at Barnes and Nobles and I fixed my Jaguar's
A/C and converted it to r134a using just information from internet.  It took
some trying but in late August I finally got it right.  (Just for those who
were wondering, it was the pressure relief valve... it failed to permit the
refrigerant to be properly pressurized, and I ended up with A/C only when
traveling at high speeds and my drier/reciever had a silica bag that had burst
open and clogged the whole system.  What fun!)

   John