Re: Tranny question

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:43:10
At 07:09 PM 10/26/98 -0800, Lawrie  Alexander wrote:
>These 3-synchro boxes used brass synchro rings (early) and steel ones
(later). The gears are interchangeable, just to complicate the situation.
It sounds as though you have a mis-matched synchro/gear combination from
your description of the problem.

>The gear with the shiny ramp uses the brass ring. The gear with a black,
kinda rough-looking ramp uses the steel ring. Are you sure the gearbox was
rebuilt by someone familiar with the difference?

Is that what that black stuff I sanded off was?  Hey Lawrie.  Does a 1275
Midget gearbox have the same two kinds of synchro parts available for 3rd
gear?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude