Looking at MG-TC; need advice

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Looking at MG-TC; need advice
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 8:24:03 -0800
Last night I was looking at an MG-TC that's for sale locally=2E
The car's in rough shape but it appears to be very original=2E

I've had As and Bs, but I'm totally naive about TCs=2E
What areas typically rust? How do you check the wood?
It seems that there must be lots of hidden
areas where these cars rust=2E

Supposedly it has never been repainted, but
there are a few details that make me wonder
if this is true: the passenger compartment panels (i=2Ee=2E inside the door)
are painted with a red primer, and this same primer
 shows under paint chips on the bonnet, firewall, and fender
 supports=2E However, the fenders appear to have a white
primer under the paint=2E I wonder if these were repainted
or taken off another car=2E The fender supports are
painted body color (black), as are the undersides of the fenders=2E

All the chrome needs replating=2E I can't see any obvious signs of major=20=
accident damage,
but are there any subtle things to look for?

What other things should I check?

How much should I pay? I see top-condition TCs going for
not more than $20K=2E This car needs a complete restoration
 but appears to be rustfree, complete, and original=2E The guy
wants $15K, which I think is unrealistic=2E Is $7K about right?

Karim
'67 B-GT
Karim Marouf
Canon Communications LLC