'73 Roadster - parts or project?

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '73 Roadster - parts or project?
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:25:25 -0500
On my way home to play with the 'B this weekend, I caught a glimpse of a red
roadster sitting off of rt.. 17 in Virginia - right before you get into
Winchester when you're headed north.  Anyway, the car was a '73 roadster,
sitting pretty much abandoned.  There were a few parts I needed, so I tried
to find the owner to wrench them from him.  No one was home at the nearby
trailer, and I was just about to leave when a guy pulled up in a pickup,
asking if I wanted the car!
    Here's the car info - it's a roadster with once-nice interior (I wanted
the rubber floor mats).  The doors were removed for some damn reason, but
the owner claimed they were nearby.  The car was badly rusted - I could've
stuck a key through the sills, and the rear had some putty work in progress.
Steel wheels, bad rubber.  The engine bay was intact, minus the air pump,
but all was rusted and the SU's were starting to corrode.
    The owner kept telling me that parts were hard to find for these cars
(even after I told him about my '74 and it's restoration).  The guy told me
that the car was owned by a guy who ran off to Africa four years ago and
left him the car.  he said something along the lines of "The law says it's
mine now, I can get a title if you need one."  He was pretty jumpy about
getting rid of it, he only wanted $200.  I'd have jumped on it if I had a
place to put it - for parts only, unless you're courageous.  He claims that
he'll be having it towed away in a few weeks if he can't sell it...
    E-mail me privately and I'll give you his name and phone number...I feel
funny about posting it to the world...I can supply a little more specific
info if you'd like...
    If anyone buys it, e-mail me...there are some used parts that I had my
eye on...8-)

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/