Re: Rear end

To: Kenneth Scott <kscott@holycross.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear end
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:10:42 -0600
Kenneth Scott wrote:

> Looking for some input.  I have a 1977 MGB, Jessica, with 158,000 miles on
>her.  The rear end has developed a clunk which may be washers or may be
>something else.  Since I am hoping in a few years to do the Rover V8
>conversion anyway I thought that now might be the time to swap in a beefier
>rear end.  I have narrowed it down to either a Ford 9" or 8.8" rear end.
>Anybody got any ideas one way or the other?
> Ken Scott
> 77 MGB  Jes(clunk)sica

        The 8.8 is a better choice, in my opinion.  There are more choices for
the 9" (as in different ratios) but the 9" is a much larger setup.  The
8.8 will handle anything that the Rover will put out in a much smaller
package.  My advise (did you ask for it?) would be to check w/ your
local junk yard and try to find a 3.08 w/ positraction from a mid 80's
Mustang, or the Mercury equivalent.  I have forgotten what cars had
these, other than above, but a whole load of Ford products did.  The
better junkyards have a computer deal that will tell what cars had what.

--
Larry Dickstein
Kansas City, MO

Bob Allen's slow computer student!!!