Re: Rear end

To: "Larry Dickstein" <bugide@tfs.net>, "Kenneth Scott" <kscott@holycross.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear end
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:24:09 -0600

>> Looking for some input.  I have a 1977 MGB, Jessica, with 158,000
miles on her.  The rear end has developed a clunk which may be washers
or may be something else.  Since I am hoping in a few years to do the
Rover V8 conversion anyway I thought that now might be the time to
swap in a beefier rear end.  I have narrowed it down to either a Ford
9" or 8.8" rear end.  Anybody got any ideas one way or the other?
>> Ken Scott
>> 77 MGB  Jes(clunk)sica

Why overlook the 8" Ford?  While it isn't nearly as easy to find as
the 8.8 or 9" Ford, it is much lighter and plenty strong enough to
take the torque of the Rover V8.  In fact, it is about 10 pounds
lighter than the MGB rear end.  You can find these rear ends on late
60-early70s Mustangs (after Shelby got involved), Ford Maverick,  and
maybe the Ford Falcon.

Jay