Re: Painting Report - 69B

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: Painting Report - 69B
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:31:10 -0500
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> At 09:59 PM 10/28/98 -0500, Trevor Boicey wrote:
> >  What did you guys do about breathing apparatus?
>
> Moderate ventilation, paper filter paint mask, shoot the car and get out of
> the garage.

  Oh man. At LEAST use a $25 dual charcoal canister
mask. Paper filter masks are IMHO for peace of mind, not
for any actual protection.

> Acrylic enamel with catalizing hardener is not nearly a toxic
> as some of the two part epoxy paints.

  The catalyst contains the same isocyanates that a urethane
catalyst contains. I'm not sure of the concentration but I
don't suspect it would be any less.

  Isocyanates are SERIOUSLY nasty. Good old organic vapours
can make you dizzy or nauseous or all other sorts of things
you can recover from. But having a reaction to isocyanates
is something to be avoided. Once exposed, you can also become
hypersensitive and you might have attacks for the rest of
your life around things you never had problems with before
such as urethane foams.

  Barney, we need your posts, take better care of yourself. ;>

  In summary, NEVER spray hardened paints without a full
compressed air breathing rig. Cars are hobbies, death is
serious.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca