Re: Painting Report - 69B

Subject: Re: Painting Report - 69B
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 98 22:39:30 -0800
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:47:57 EST, BONNILA@aol.com wrote:

<SNIP>

>spray a very, very  light coat of white paint, from a spray
>can, over the car. Then wet sand with coarse sandpaper (held by a block),
>using even strokes in all directions, no stroke longer than 12 inches. Three
>more wet sands should follow, using progressively finer blocked paper.
>Finally, polish (not wax) with a polishing wheel, wait a week, the wax.  The
>very thin spotted coat of white paint comes off very easily with the coarse
>sandpaper, and will help ensure that you don't miss any spots.

I'm not a painter but I saw someone use another trick like that.
Throughout the sanding process, he would squeegee the surface. When the
surface was uniformly dull with no shiny areas, it meant that surface was
smooth with no orange peel. Afterwards, he machine buffed it. He was
working with arcylic urethane, but the process is probably the same for
enamel. Hope it helps.

Joseph
67 Roadster
(Still mineral blue)