RE: dead MGB...

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>,
Subject: RE: dead MGB...
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 07:51:23 -0600

I'm trying to avoid that, the current status is that I replaced the ground
cable.

> Listen out when you turn the key to crank the engine.  Can you hear a
> click of a relay operating, a clunk of the solenoid operating, or
> nothing at all?  If nothing at all, is the ignition light
> still showing
> while the key is still turned.

Nothing, no click, clunk, no ignition light, absolutely nothing...

> If the ignition light goes out when you turn the key you have a bad
> connection somewhere in the heavy current circuit - clean up
> the battery
> terminals/connectors, the battery ground strap/body connection and the
> solenoid connections.  For good measure also clean up both ends of the
> engine ground strap and where it bolts up to.

That's what I did to start, I had a piece of cable the right size and a new
terminal to bolt to the body, the battery terminal was reusable, so I used
it and cleaned it up.

> If the ignition light stays on but you hear no click or clunk then the
> starter relay is not operating.  Check the connections on the
> relay, and
> check that you get 12v on the white/red from the ignition
> switch.  If no
> 12v check the red/white back to the switch.

I'll use the rest of this to determine if the ground wire doesn't fix my
problem.

Thanks for the pointers...