Mechanical Retard? / Magnetic Pickup Resolution

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mechanical Retard? / Magnetic Pickup Resolution
From: Richard.C.Guynn@mcdermott.com
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 8:42:00 -0600
     Hi all,

     Thanks to all those who gave suggestions on my ignition problem,
     thanks.

     It turned out that the pickup itself was good, but the connector was
     bad for some reason, so I clipped the plug off and installed a new
     connector.  I was now getting spark.

     The engine:
     '80 vintage 18V engine with newer-style electronic ignition. (45DM)

     New problem:
        The car now gets spark (yaaay!)  I even got it running.  I set the
     timing at 1500 RPM per the book.  The car idles reasonably well, but
     spits, sputters, and coughs as you rev it up (even slowly).  So I
     checked the timing again.  This time I noticed that the timing was
     actually retarding as the RPMs were increased!  I furrowed my brow and
     concertedly wondered if this was a joke being played on me for being
     an Aggie.  Obviously this explained the reluctance to run poorer as
     RPMs increased... so I began investigating.

     I pulled the distributor out, disassembled and inspected the unit to
     see if there was any possible way that I could have put something
     together backwards.  I checked it against the pictoral breakdown in
     some of the books.  I checked the vacuum unit... everything was as it
     should be.  Consternation set in.

     I put the unit back in and cranked the car.  Still doing the same
     thing...  I swapped the distributor out for a 25D unit and cranked the
     car.  It ran and revved freely up to high RPMs, the strobe showed the
     ignition advancing as it should....

     The only thing changed on the electronic system is the connector.  It
     is possible that I hooked up the pickup wires in reverse of what they
     were before.  Would this cause the ignition box to see a negative
     voltage and maybe make it cause this flaky problem?  It is the only
     thing I can think of at the moment.  I didn't have time last night to
     switch the distributor back and switch the connection, so I thought
     I'd ask while I'm stuck here at work.  Has anyone ever seen this
     problem?  Comments, theories?

     Rick Guynn
     '73/'79 hybrid MGB