Re: Flashing amber on MG legal? :(

To: krisn@iname.com
Subject: Re: Flashing amber on MG legal? :(
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 23:43:03 EST
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:06:05 -0500 (EST) krisn@iname.com writes:

>Doesn't look TOO terrible (though any damage to my poor car is
>terrible to me), but he definitely caused some damage. The bumper is
>now no longer set away from the backend--the body's caved in a smidge
>and my trunk is difficult to open/close because it hits the license
>plate frame now. The body also seems to have buckled slightly above
>the passenger's rear wheel.
>
>Just needed to share, I guess! Anyone have any ideas on how much this
>will cost to fix? Wild guesses (I know you can't really tell without a
>close inspection) welcome. His insurance will cover it (I hope), but I
>still have to get it done. Grr.

I dont want to appear alarmist - or worse, litigious, but you might have
a bit of a problem here.
1)This type of distortion to a monocoque body is usually quite difficult
to straighten -
Make sure you get at least two estimates preferably from MG speciaizten
(love that expression!) and make sure they check the drive train
alignment et al - a shunt like that can knock all sorts of things out of
kilter, even little things like the fuel filler to tank seals - so make
sure its a thorough inspection
2)You can bet a dollar to a pinch of sh*t that the other guys insurance
co is going to value your car as a 21 year old POS worth $500 and tell
you its totalled!
Make sure you involve your own insurance co to fight on your behalf -
Give them a full accident report .They may also be a**holes but your
paying them to be on your side - Do you have a collectors agreed value
policy on the car? - if so you will be better off than if you just have
regular coverage
3)Tell YOUR inse co that you suffered whiplash in the accident - it will
give them ammunition to fight on your behalf - the prospect of a personal
injury claim should send the other guys inse co rushing for the checkbook
4)Do all this without any delay, a sense of urgency is anathema to
bureaucrats especially if you hassle them every couple of days - "squeaky
wheel" syndrome is very real in insurance matters!

Good Luck, as i said i dont want to appear alarmist and it might well all
go very satisfactorily  but you need to be proactive to protect your
interests

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT