Rebuilt Alternators

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rebuilt Alternators
From: "Erik Brzoska" <mowog77@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 08:51:07 PST
I called around my hometown for a replacement alternator for my 77B and
found the prices and availability fairly wide-ranging.

Kar parts has a Borg-Werner rebuilt for $75 plus $6 core charge, but the
guy couldn't tell me if it was a 3-prong or 5-prong plug.

NAPA has the Lucas rebuilt for $115 plus an $8 core charge, but this guy
didn't know about the plug either.

National Auto parts has a Lucas rebuilt for $69 plus an $8 core and the
cost of UPS shipping of $2. The guy couldn't tell me about the plug
either.
All of these places said they could have it the next day, but they did
not know if about the plug because it wasn't listed.

The last place I called, Pep Boys, said they had a cheapo brand for $25
and then what they call their premium models for $85.
I asked if the $25 one was a Lucas and the guy said "A what?".
He said what kind of car and I said an MGB and he says "Oh a midget".
Then I said, "No, a MGB." He then says to me, "Oh they are out of
business." I figured - why get into it!

He also stated that any of those alternators would take a week to get
in!!

For the $8 core charge it is worth it for me to just hang on to it and
rebuild the diode pack and have a backup!

Anybody have anything good/bad to say about Lucas rebuilds.

Any and all advice is much appreciated,
Erik.