Re: Used Webber ??

To: <rrobertstr4@email.com>, "MG list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Used Webber ??
From: "Jim Carney" <carney_fam_ark@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 19:57:58 -0600
Rick,
Unfortunately, I don't know much about the later model "smogged" MGBs. The
'80 came with one Stromberg which can probably be repaired for much less
than $300.
You can get a NEW Weber DGV for $300 from Victoria British. I'm sure the
other vendors have them as well, I just happen to have a Victoria catalog
next to me.
Whether or not it's a do-it-yourself project is entirely up to you. I'm
assuming you don't have much experience or you wouldn't have asked the
question.
If you like cars & want to know how to work on them, and have a budget for
buying good tools, there's no time like the present to start. There's plenty
of people on the list who will be happy to answer questions that may come
up.
Some folks on the list think yanking a motor & rebuilding it is a
do-it-yourselfer, and there's probably others who are hesitant to change a
turn signal switch.
I'd vote for doing it yourself. It's very satisfying if you learn to do this
stuff correctly.
In addition, you may find that you will not be able to hire someone to do
the work for you & do it to your standards. If it ain't a Honda or a Chevy,
some "mechanics" get very confused.

Now, the real purpose behind my reply. If you are inexperienced about these
things, a little warning. When a seller says "carburetor trouble" to me, I
start looking for burnt valves & bad rings.
A car with a bad carburetor may run poorly.
A car that runs poorly may have a perfectly good carburetor, but have more
serious internal problems.
If you are inexperienced with this stuff (all of us were at one time) please
try to get someone experienced to have a look at the car & make a proper
assessment.
If it is running poorly, unless the seller is your grandfather, don't take
the seller's word that it is the carb.
Best wishes,
Jim