Carb rebuild - fact or fantasy?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Carb rebuild - fact or fantasy?
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:49:16 -0500
Hello again.

  With 2500 miles on my new engine, I'm happy with the results of the
rebuild.  I knew the carbs needed attention too, but decided to leave well
enough alone until I was confident of the motor itself.  The time has come.

  I have rebuild kits and throttle shafts (no bushings at this time).  I've
read the Haynes manual.  It looks for the life of me to be far too simple.
Disassemble; clean; check for wear at 1) throttle shaft bushings, 2) cold
start jet, 3) piston, 4) needle/main jet; reassemble with new parts; adjust
everything from scratch.

  If I may trouble those the list with two questions:  If I've successfully
overhauled the motor, am I over my head trying to rebuild my carburetors?
And when the carb is dismantled,  can I dunk it a can of carburetor dip, or
are there brass parts (like bushings) that will become toast?

  As always, your advice is appreciated.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - sucking wind and blowing gas.