Re: Turn Signal Problems

To: John Moonan <jmoonan@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Turn Signal Problems
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:42:18 +0000
John Moonan wrote:

> I beseech the list wisdom for a recommendation on resolving problems I
> am having with the turn signals on my 77 MGB.  Problem is as follows:
>
> Hazard flashers have been working.
>
> Right turn signal almost never works.  Lights will come on but will not
> flash
>
> Left turn signal works about 50% of the time.  When it doesn't work
> symptom is same as right side.
>
> I have checked the ground back in the trunk, its clean.  Both front and
> rear lamps light bright not dim like there was a bad connection.

Turn flashers will stop flashing long before any high-resistance
connection starts affecting the visible brightness of the lamps, the
turn flasher is very sensitive.  The most likely areas are grounds -
both front and rear, plus any of the myriad connectors throughout the
circuits - both on the bulb side of the turn switch and back through the
turn flasher, the hazard switch, the green circuit, its fuse, white
circuit, ignition switch, brown circuit to the battery.  Old bulbs can
go high-resistance and make the problem worse.

PaulH.