Re: Radiator Flush

To: "Barnhart, Christopher" <BarnhartC@ioc.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Radiator Flush
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:32:08 -0600
Barnhart, Christopher wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a radiator and heater core flushing regimine?  I think
> I can pressure check it in a tub of water with compressed air and a couple
> of rubber stoppers. Or is preferable to have a radiator shop flush and
> hydrostatically test them?  They're both out of the car while the
> restoration proceeds.

To 'core' a radiator, you take the tanks off and run a wire down every tube.
Then you solder the tanks back on. Not exactly DIY. You can flush it at the curb
with a strong hose but, obviously, if some tubes are clogged they'll stayed
clogged.

The heater core can be back-flushed with a strong stream from the water hose.

To pressure test, you use a bicycle tube from a smaller childs bike. Cut it
opposite the stem, hose clamp the ends to the upper and lower. Fill the radiator
and tube with water, secure cap, and then inflate the tube at the valve stem. If
it leaks, you'll know.

> On a similar note, what about the oil cooler?  I was
> thinking about filling it with kerosene and letting it soak a few days, then
> blow it out with compressed air.  Thoughts?

Sounds okay but you might take it to the quarter car wash and blow it out real
good to dislodge whatever is stuck inside. Wear old clothes and take the SO's
car when you do it.

If you don't know the history of the oil cooler, it may be false economy to
reuse.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City