RE: Radiator Flush

To: "'gofastmg@juno.com'" <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Radiator Flush
From: "Barnhart, Christopher" <BarnhartC@ioc.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:42:08 -0600
Rick,

Thanks for the advice,  Got a price locally to have the heater core and
radiator dipped and cleaned for $35. They'll do the oil cooler too if I
degrease it first.

        >If you've got the radiator out already, it will only cost you about
$25
        >or so to get it professionally checked and flushed. Hardly worth
the
        >effort to try and do it yourself in the bath.

        SNIP

        >As for the oil cooler. You will probably be able to remove most of
the
        >accumulated junk in the cooler by soaking it in cleaner, flushing,
        >soaking, flushing, etc,etc. But that which you don't remove will
sooner
        >or later come loose and go straight to the engine.
        >You'll most likely feel better in the long run if you just replace
the
        >thing with a new cooler. Cost is about $85.

> Rick Morrison
> 72 MGBGT
> 74 Midget

        I'm curious about this.  This seems to be the conventional wisdom on
the list.  I don't know for sure, but doesn't the oil exiting the oil cooler
pass through the oil filter on it way back to the engine?  I remember
reading an article (Barney's?) on oil migration through the engine.  Don't
recall seeing the cooler discussed.  Regardless, won't the filter trap the
harmful stuff before it gets into the oilways?  I certainly advocate
changing the filter often initially after an overhaul (don't want a bypass
situation).  However, if $85 buys piece of mind maybe it's money well spent,
otoh it's 1/2 a cyl head job or 1 tire.

        Chris 69 'B