Re: lowering rb MGB

To: jimbb88@erols.com
Subject: Re: lowering rb MGB
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:13:09 EST
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:32:07 -0500 Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com> writes:

> The reason to use an old spring is that
>as you cut them, they become stiffer. If you cut a new spring, the ride
>would be very harsh. One of the engineers on the list can explain
>this, I cannot.

Simply put, the spring rate of a coil spring is a function of  (1) the
spring diameter, (2) wire diameter, (3) the number of WORKING coils and
(4) a constant for the particular steel.

For any body who cares, the "formula" is:

                             1,500,000 X  d^4
Spring rate =  -----------------------------
                             N   X    D^3

where :     d = wire diameter
                  D = Spring diameter
                  N = number of active coils (= total coils -1/2)

 While not enough to design a spring from scratch, the relationship is
suffecient to allow some one to accruately predict the effect of
modification to a spring, ie such as cutting a coil.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget