Beheading a B

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Beheading a B
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:21:25 EST
<<Any ideas would be helpful.  I really thought that the rope
(another idea from this list) would work.   I just don't want to make
my troubles or repairs bigger then they are now.
Thanks,
Bill>>
Bill - the rope trick can be dangerous if you crank it, so good thing you
didn't hurt anything.
One thing you could try, I suppose, is to put the carbs back on and fire t=
he
engine. You don't need exhaust or cooling to fire it for a couple of minut=
es,
and it might start things loosening.
At least it isn't as bad as, for example, the Triumph Mayflower, which had=
flat head in alloy on a cast iron block. When they had been together a few
years, the head studs and head grew together with corrosion so that you
couldn't have parted them with dynamite. The mechanics made up a special t=
ool
=97 a round hollow cutter that slid over the head stud and ran in a big dr=
ill =97
you basically had to cut a way a thin cylinder of metal and corrosion to g=
et
the two apart.

I'd also suggest that you take out all of the head studs you can, before d=
oing
this. There should be enough sticking up to get two thin nuts or a stud pu=
ller
on them (yes it will wreck em, but you should change them anyway).
Good luck.

Bill S.