More Marinara

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More Marinara
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:21:23 EST
<.

I must agree =97 sometimes you want something different to drive even if y=
ou
have the choice of a sports car. I plead guilty to owning, driving and
enjoying such cars as a Jaguar Mk 9 (Moby Jag), and a Wolseley 6/99 (ticke=
ted
for 4 wheel drifting a corner in Stanley Park one dark night, much to the
disbelief of the amused cop).

So I understand variant tastes like MG 1100s and such.

I guess what I have a little more trouble understanding is a preference fo=
r a
demonstrably inferior model of the same type of car, such as the rubber
bumper, performance and handling impaired model of the MGB, when the earli=
er
better performing car is readily available. I guess that part of it is the
'love the one you're with' effect, and part of it may be just that perform=
ance
is not the priority for some that it is for me.
Before I get outraged mail from the RB element, let me point out that I di=
dn't
say anything about the aesthetics of the later cars. While I have a clear
personal preference for the chrome bumper cars, I am sure that a large par=
t of
my antipathy for the later cars is performance rather than appearance indu=
ced,
and I will admit to thinking that the Huffaker race cars, when they went t=
o RB
bodies, didn't look too bad at all.
I seem to recall that they grafted the current nose onto their earlier car=
s so
as not to have to reinvent the wheel, as it were, by modifying the new cha=
ssis
from scratch, but I could be wrong, or perhaps that was just for a
transitional year or so until they got the new suspension sorted. Anyone k=
now?
Anyhow - I have a poster of Visger's car up on my garage wall, so I must l=
ike
em a bit. ;-)

Bill S.