Re: RTFM...

To: <dresden@tiac.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: RTFM...
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 09:21:10 -0500
On 11/21/98 2:56 PM so and so (dresden@tiac.net) said. (And I quote:)

>Hi All,
>
>Well, I feel a bit foolish; I headed out to the garage space to do some
>work on the B today, and had another lesson on the value of reading the
>manual before starting...Ed at JustBrits had tried with great subtlety to
>point out that the intake and exhaust manifolds for the later cars are all
>one piece, and if I'd have looked closely enough at the car, or read the
>manual, or even looked at the part in the Moss catalog, I'd have realized
>that...next time just dope-slap me, Ed. I'll bet that's why you haven't
>given me an address to send a check to yet, isn't it? Well, let's add new
>nuts, studs, and gaskets, as well as that seal between the convertor and
>the head pipe.
>
>Anyway, the whole unit, intake/exhaust manifold and convertor are off
>now...why do convertors cost so much, anyway? Mine looks like just a hollow
>metal can on the inside...=)  I won't tell anyone if you don't. I would
>like to talk to the PO about it though; I'm wondering what other things I
>don't know about. Does anyone know what the performance characteristics of
>a "gutless" convertor are? Would I be better off just putting a header and
>some SUs or a Weber on there? (I know, many people think that's better
>anyway). The scary thing here is now that it's all apart, it seems halfway
>to having SU's put on there anyway, and I must admit the thought is
>tempting. Any advice? Offers of used earlier B or aftermarket set-ups?
>Thanks.
>
>Nevin

BTDT. Sorry had to say that.
If you can get the SU's do that. Otherwise go for the headers and the
Weber. Watch out fot the enviro police though.

Larry Macy
78 Midget (Weber)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?