New seats for the "B"- from a Miata Purists please delete immediately!

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, MGV8 list <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New seats for the "B"- from a Miata Purists please delete immediately!
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:45:22 -0500
As some of you know, I put Pontiac Fierro seats in both V8's several
years ago. Well, the roadster seats have about 6 years hard use on a
used set of seats (over 100,000 miles) & the seats were worn to the
frame in a spot or two. Time to replace or re-upholster. The last set I
had recovered cost $400.00, 4 years ago, so that option seemed
expensive, & would leave me seatless for a week or so. I set about the
task of looking for other options, including another set of Fiero seats
in better condition.

A month or so of calls & visits to salvage yards netted me zero. 1988
was a long time ago, the yards told me, the last year of production for
the Fiero. A friend who owns a TR6, also owns (owned) a Miata, & I
recalled that the seats looked like they would be a good fit for a "B",
so I decided I would give it a try. One of the advantages of having a
high volume body shop next door to the office became immediately
apparent. The owner, who is a Mini nut, was quite willing to help. One
phone call, & I was the proud owner of a pair of charcoal 1998 Miata
seats. Delivered!

Easier almost, than putting in stock seats. The Miata seats have the
seat belt receiver on a bracket that is part of the seat runner. This
was cut off since I preferred to have the belts mounted to the body, in
the original configuration. The front mounting eyes are rather large, &
line up perfectly with the captive nuts on the MG body. Grade 8 bolts, 2
very large fender washers, nuts & lock washers, & the front was mounted.
Slide the seat all the way forward, & start on the rear mounts. They did
not line up with the MG captive nuts, so I was forced to drill new holes
in the floor pan. More grade 8 hardware, double LARGE fender washers
inside & out, & I was done.

The seats are very different than either the MGB or Fiero. Less
"wrap-a-round than the Fiero, more than the B. A firm seat with very
good lower back support, & a cushion that actually soaks up road bumps
that my too firm suspension does not.
The seat height is higher that the Fiero seats, more like a set of B
seats that have new cushions. All in all, a very nice seat.

Some are available with twin speaker in the headrest al a Fiero, alas,
mine are without. When I have some time, I may remove the upholstery &
change that.

So here is a relatively inexpensive alternative to the "club" seats
being advertised- they are certainly more comfortable.

Jim Stuart

2 V8's, no dollars or sense, but a really nice seat