Re: Update-late OD in '67 B

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Update-late OD in '67 B
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:21:38 +0000
Skye Poier asked:

> Why on earth would you want to keep that
> messy original oil filter setup?  You some kind of originality nut? ;)

Yes and no--I'm trying to keep the car as original looking as possible while
still having the benefit of later improvements.  But in the case of the oil
filter, it's the challenge.

I've struggled with the leak from that canister filter for nigh on 20 years now
and I'm going to beat it if it kills me.  I figure with the upside-down filter,
it will be more obvious if it's leaking, or at least more convenient to look for
it, so I'll try different seal combinations until it doesn't leak.  Then I can
retire from the struggle victorious and replace the damn thing with a spin-on
filter.  No inanimate object is going to defeat me!

Besides, the upside-down spin-on filter adapter costs $100 and I'd be replacing
it once I replace the starter.  Since the current setup is temporary, I'll go
the cheap route for now.

I wonder if it will feel like driving an MG when it has no starter drive rattle
or first gear whine and doesn't leak.

Denise Thorpe