Re: Floor Jack Question

To: Rick Guynn <rcg1597@wt.net>
Subject: Re: Floor Jack Question
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:10:22 -0500
Rick Guynn wrote:

> Take it back!
>
> I had the same thing happen to me.  I bought the jack at Sam's as well.  Mine
> was worse, however, it wouldn't even lift the car in the first place.  Really
> annoying, as Sam's was a distance from my house.  I checked the second one
> before I left the store...  And I always use jack stands.  Of course these
>are the
> chances we take when buying the cheap Chinese-manufactured stuff.......  that
> said, the second one has worked flawlrssly for some time now...
>
> -Rick
>
> > Hi All,
> > This is a 3 and a half ton floor jack from Sam's Club.  I had jacked up the
> > Midget and left it like that overnight.  Next morning the car was back on
> > the ground again!  Is this normal, or should I take it back to Sam's.?
> > Much appreciate any advice.
> > Thanks,  Adrian.
> > P.S.  I am aware that a floor jack should only be used to lift up the car
> > in order to get jack stands under it.

Should hold the car all night.  I bought a floor jack from Harbor Freight
tools
and my leaks oil.  Starting leaking early in its life.  I now just add oil
and park
the damn thing over a rag.  I was a bit leery buying a jack from Harbor
Freight,
but they were the only place that sold a jack the had a high lift.  Most
floor jacks
only lift to 19 to 21 inches max.  This one lifted to 36 inches.   I wish I
purchased a jack from another source.  We live and learn.  There is
sometimes
truth to the statement, "You get what you pay for" or "If a bargain is too
good to be true, beware".  But you would figure for $160 bucks the thing
would
last a couple of years before leaking.  I have not had any luck in finding
new
seals for the thing.

My advice is to buy a quality American made jack, but that will cost big
bucks.
Or if you can purchase an used older jack it most likely will be better
then the
cheap crap being passed off as jacks today.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget and floor jack both marking my garage floor.