Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:00:29 -0500
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:
> I then put a 2x4 under both bolts and then used a floor jack to
> try to lift the head off.  The only thing that happened was the
> front wheels came off the ground.  While the car was suspended by
> the cylinder head I tried applying some directed force with a
> rubber mallet, but still no luck.  Any ideas on what to try next?

  For starters, leave the car jacked up like this over
the nights and days while you are deciding what next
to do.

  It also might help to leave the car in this state while
trying other techniques. A long-valued technique is to hang
the cars front end off the ground using an engine stand
with all the weight on the head. Sometimes just time
spent dangling and penetrating oil and the head will
pop. The tension on the head/block gasket might microscopically
open more places for the penetrating oil to creep.

> This gives me a whole new respect for the rally teams that fix
> their cars in the middle of nowhere with only pliers, a screw driver,
> a couple of sticks, one hammer and sap from a local tree.

  hehehe those cars are stripped so often though, they
NEVER see a rusty bolt or fitting. Kind of like in
the manuals where all jobs look easy because the parts
are all brand new and clean.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca