Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 23:26:16 -0500
William M. Gilroy wrote:

> Car:  77 Midget that refuse to come apart easily.
>
> The second thing is that damn head is still stuck tight.  I tried
> to get it off by cranking the engine and that failed.  My next
> attempt was to put back in the two bolts that held the water pump.
> I then put a 2x4 under both bolts and then used a floor jack to
> try to lift the head off.  The only thing that happened was the
> front wheels came off the ground.  While the car was suspended by
> the cylinder head I tried applying some directed force with a
> rubber mallet, but still no luck.  Any ideas on what to try next?

Hurray! My head finally came off, well not mine but the cars.
This is how it happened.  Last night I left the car jacked up
by the head and applied PB Blaster around where the head meets
the block.  This morning I applied more PB Blaster and applied
more persuasion with my rubber mallet.  The thing was still stuck
when I left for work.  As I left work I today I decide that I
needed a larger hammer.  I decide that I would buy an 8lb.
sledge. I would use a 2x4, the 8lb sledge and get really medieval
on my stuck head.  Anyway I get home tonight and go into the
garage with the intend of beating my head back to the stone age,
and I see it is propped up on the 2x4 that I used to jack the
car up.  The best I can figure is the head popped loose at the
same moment that I spent the money to buy the sledge.  I swear
I heard my car laughing at me for spending money on something I
no longer needed.  I figure I will keep the sledge, I am sure
I can use it to scare some other part off my Midget.  Anyway
my stuck head saga is now over, and I want to thank everybody
for all their helpful suggestions.  Of course I will have to
start a new thread on just what I am seeing now that my head is
off, but that will have to wait until tomorrow, since it is getting
late and I am running on a 2 year sleep deficit.

Many thanks to everyone,

-----
Bill Gilroy
wmgilroy@lucent.com

77 Midget - Coming apart one peice at a time
90/89 Shar Pei
No cats