Re: In Defense of the Austin Marina

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: In Defense of the Austin Marina
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:32:13 +0000
Phil Raby wrote:

> On 23/11/98 8:08 pm Paul Hunt said
>
> >As reliable as the Moggie 1000, though.
>
> And about as advanced, too.

I think the only 'advance', well, difference anyway, was the lack of a
chassis and the torsion-bar front suspension (now where else did that
turn up, I wonder?).  A colleague once criticised the torsion bar and
cart springs of my Marina, and when I pointed out it was the same
technology as the E-Type (he was a Jag fiend) he said "Well, the E-Type
suspension always was rubbish".

I well remember some prat at a TV station wheeling in a little old lady
to berate Lord Stokes (of whom I'm no defender) for replacing the Moggie
with the Marina.  After several minutes of getting nowhere with
explanations of 'development' and 'moving forward' in desperation he
offered to build her one from parts - as long as she paid the economic
cost, subsequently calculated to be some three-times more than the
showroom cost.

PaulH.