RE: Help for the electrically challenged

To: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Subject: RE: Help for the electrically challenged
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:42:31 -0800
Denise.
        Bs' before 73 did not have a starter relay.  I have run both of
my converted 65s' without one and do not appear to be having problems
with the switch handling the current.  A relay would be nice, but I do
not believe the effort is worthwhile.

        The easiest way to convert the electrical is to leave the
original solenoid in place as a dummy terminal block.

        The white/red wire is the switched starter lead.  This needs to
be lengthened to reach the small lug on the replacement starter.  This
is the lug that is not ganged on the main stud.  Do not connect it to a
smaller lug which is on some later starters.  This is the coil feed used
on later 72- on cars.

        Connect the original starter cable to the Batt. side of the old
solenoid.  Hook up the other end to the main input bolt of the new
starter.

        That should do the job.

        An alternate setup if you are converting to alternator is to
shorten the main feed cable, put a new lug on it.  Connect directly to
the Starter.  Run a heavy brown cable from the starter bolt up to the
mass of brown wires which were attached to the regulator.  Use the old
generator brown lead to hook to the alternator output.  The brown/yellow
lead goes to the small lug on the alternator (warning light).

Hope this helps, any questions I'll be back on line Monday.

Kelvin.