Re: My Carbs (again <G>)

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: My Carbs (again <G>)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:20:05 -0500
Neil Cotty wrote:
> 1) The fuel pump is still pumping once it has filled the float bowls.
> Albeit slowly, click - wait - click and I'm losing fuel out the Charcoal
> Cannister tube. What could this be?

  Probably as you guessed, leaking needle valves. The overflow
is coming out of the float vents and into the canister.

  If you get the soft click but without the overflowing, it
can be a fuel pump problem like a diaphragm pinhole or
a valve problem, but the overflowing canister is a problem.

  You might consider taking the canister off while you debug this,
you don't want it to quietly fill with gasoline. Leave the
canister vent line in a safe visible place and watch to see
if any fuel is coming out of it.

> My floats are made entirely of plastic and are non-adjustable

  They are adjustable actually, just in a different way. The
level determination is the same, and you move them up and
down using tiny fiber washers under the needle valve.

> Are these incompatible with my float chamber lids
> perhaps? I have new seats to match the needle, so I shouldn't think so.

  Close the valve with your finger and see if you can blow
air through the fuel pipe with your mouth (a bit of clean hose
will keep your lips clean). You shouldn't be able to blow
air through, if you can, the valve isn't sealing.

  If you CAN seal the valve with your finger but it doesn't
seal in operation, look into adjustment.

> Or is it perhaps the additional sideways force (generated by
> mounting them on the manifold) causing the washers on the spindle
> linkage to bind?

  Loosen the carb bolts, give everything a good shake, then
tighten again. Someimtes the little connector shaft gets
"bound" between the carbs depending on how everything
was tightened. There is a little play in the mounting
of the carbs, and it can line up badly or squeeze
on the middle.

> 3) Which way should the choke linkage operate? I hope I've reconnected
> this properly because they seem to require and upward movement to
> operate the jets and not downwards..

  That is correct. The end of the choke cable is fixed, it
is the "shield" that moves when you move the knob. The shield
goes up with you pull the knob out.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca