Choke Linkage

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Choke Linkage
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 00:00:33 -0800
Hi all,

These carbs are driving me nuts but I'll fix 'em yet. I managed to hook
them all up, fixed the binding throttle linkage (durr the arms on the
linkage were too tight causing the shaft to bind, and I thought this
wasn't the problem!) and also the fuel pump still pumping issue - thanks
to Gary with the 75 Midget. Because the carbs were empty, the fuel pump
had to pump a lot more fuel than usual to fill the empty chambers, and
it seems it pumped some debris up to the float chambers which blocked
the needle - even though I have a fuel filter on the line. Well after
disconnecting the overflow pipe from each float chamber and finding out
it was the front one still pumping fuel, I gave the chamber a few taps
with a screwdriver handle and whammo stopped immediately! Thanks Gary!
:)

I now have another issue to solve but I should be able to fix it, just
thought I'd bring it up on the list. In Lawrie's video he brings the Jet
adjusting nut down 12 flats for the starting position on the HS4's. My
carbs would not run in this position. Why I don't know, maybe I stuffed
up. The mixture was way too lean as I found out by actuating the choke
linkage - the car started, but died when I released the linkage. I got
very tired and decided to call it quits for the day. I also have to
readjust my timing as it's way off even after I thought I got the static
timing right. Go figure. Adjusting the dizzy is a major pain in the
backside, getting at those bolts is almost impossible if you've got huge
hands like mine. I wonder if there's a special tool available or a tiny
spanner. Anyways, I read the SU factory manual and it seems they suggest
taking the dashpots off and adjusting the jet until it's level with the
bridge of the carb and this is the starting position. I'll have a look
tomorrow and see if this works.

To the choke issue - I really can't get this to work. My choke linkage
had one spring attached when I removed the carbs, the other one had
broken and was left hanging from the heat shield. With my two new
springs attached (same as the throttle springs) I *cannot* move the
choke from within the car. With one attached I can just move it but not
enough to lower the jets. I really need some advice on this one! Photo's
of a similar setup would be wonderful as a reference. If I move the jets
by hand with the choke linkage it is quite difficult to move, there is a
lot of tension, but it does move and move smoothly. They appeared fine
off the car - in fact they appear to be the same even on the car, just
can't move them with the choke cable. Hmm!

Finally I had a bit of a shock. The first time I ran the motor, switched
her off, I had exhaust fumes pour from the exhaust manifold - centre
pipe. New gasket. The second time I ran it this problem went away and
hasn't occured since. I retightened all the bolts I could get at but I'm
guessing this needed a bit of heat to bed in the first time as it hasn't
happened since. God I don't want to have to take the whole #($*(#*@ lot
off again! <G>

Oh and don't worry I'll be shutting up for a while once this carb stuff
is finished. <G> :))

Cheers,
Neil