Re: Distributor and Tuning guff - long and boring

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor and Tuning guff - long and boring
From: s4usea@fanniemae.com (Scott Allen)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:40:34 -0500

neilc@tradesrv.com.au asks:

> Whats worse is the timing is jumping under the strobe by about
>5-6 degrees in advance - off beat jumping. Is my distributor toast? I can
>guarantee the sucker didn't move because I scribed a little mark on the
>block. Ideas? I figure the bush is worn?

Been there two months ago with my TD.  Worn distributor bushing and/or
timimg chain.

Make sure the bolts securing the the distrubutor are tight and take the
cap and rotor off. Grap hold of the cam and give it
a shake.  If it moves, time to re-bush.

Timing chain is more subjective.  With the tensioner on, there should be
very little play on the chain.  In the case of my TD, before I replaced
the chain there was between 1/8" - 1/4".  After almost none.

Lastly a problem that I ran into was that after 46 years or so, the torque
the engine generated on the distributor cam had caused the hole in the
distributor body where the cam passes through it to be oval rather then
round, making it impossible to re-bush.  Had to replace it.

Good luck,

Scott Allen