Re: Flushing Shocks

To: "Gary Allen" <gaallen@tscnet.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Flushing Shocks
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 22:49:36 -0800
I have used kerosene to clean out the shocks.

If you have *smooth* and even resistance up and down, with no
slack at the direction change, no leaking, and no play, then the
shocks are OK.

After cleaning it out with kerosene, I use either Auto Transmission Fluid
or Motorcycle fork oil as the replacement damper fluid. I have also used
Penrite's Lever arm damper fluid but it is, for all intensive purposes,
identical to the 2 above. ATF is pretty much the same as the standard
damping weight (20wt). Motorcycle Fork oil has the advantage of being
available in weights from 5 to 50wt. For normal use, don't go above 30 wt.
Not only is it firm enough for normal setups/use, it becomes much harder on
the shock when you raise the fluid wt.

With M/C fork oil, you can in theory "mix and match" the weights if the
available wts aren't exactly to your taste. Personally I haven't felt the
need
as yet.

Make sure you flush all the kerosene out with at least one extra change of
ATF or fork oil.

Before anyone asks, I spoke to a local rebuilder about the various options
for replacement oil. He has told me that  ATF, Lever arm Damper Fluid,
and M/C fork oil all have the same additives. The most important of these
is an anti-foaming agent. There is also some to keep the weight relatively
constant with temperature.

Peter from World-Wide Imports (Top quality US rebuilders of Lever arm
shocks), pointed out the internal damage that can result from using oil
with too high a weight. He advised that if you want a more "competition"
type shock whilst still using lever arms, then you should adjust the valving
rather than going too far overboard on the oil weight. Peter can supply
rebuilt units with the uprated valves.

I have successfully used 30wt oil without any obvious side effects. I have
also
bought a set of Peter's competition-valved rebuilt units and am very happy
with them.

Hope that helps.

Mike